Senior IT Project Leader, Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS)
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Senior IT Project Leader, Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS)
Job Profile Title
Information Technology Project Leader Senior
Job Description Summary
This position is responsible for developing and maintaining the WRDS hardware and application infrastructure both on-site and in the cloud. This role will build and maintain this infrastructure, as well as develop data access from varying sources using a variety of software packages.
WRDS is looking for an enthusiastic senior IT professional to join the Platform Development and Integration team. The PDI team is responsible for developing and maintaining the WRDS hardware and application infrastructure both on-site and in the cloud. This role will build and maintain this infrastructure, as well as develop data access from varying sources using a variety of software packages. You will work closely with other PDI team members, the Data and Web teams, as well as our PhD researchers to present our data in innovative and easy to use ways.
The ideal candidate will be an expert in Linux infrastructure and application automation, and will have steadfast attention for security throughout the IT platform. This position will lead deployment of new and support existing Linux servers in an automated fashion using Ansible both on premises and in the cloud. This position will also focus on developing further automation for server and application deployment and management at WRDS. The interest and ability to explore new technologies is crucial. This includes selecting and configuring software and connecting it to data and other existing parts of applications maintained by WRDS. The candidate will support internal staff as well as users in the candidate's areas of expertise.
The developer will be expected to coordinate multiple projects and will have responsibility for project goals and timelines, while still meeting deadlines. The position will develop or modify procedures to solve complex problems, taking into consideration computer equipment capacity and limitations.
- BA/BS in MIS, Data Science, Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Finance, Mathematics, or another closely related discipline with 5 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Proficiency with configuration management systems such as Ansible
- Proficiency with version control systems such as GitLab and GitHub, and CI/CD pipeline systems
- Experience with cloud computing architecture
- Comfortable deploying, maintaining, and administering UNIX/Linux environments
- A deep understanding of Linux platform system security
- Ability to balance securing systems while maintaining customer usability
- Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, and must be able to support users, relay questions to vendors, and present and discuss requirements internally.
- Experience with an all-purpose programming language such as Python or Perl
- Experience with version control systems such as svn or git
- Experience with PostgreSQL administration
- Experience with the SQL query language
- Statistical software, such as SAS, R, Matlab, or Stata
- Understanding of typical web development workflow
- Familiarity with big data tools
- Experience with networking infrastructure and knowledge of networking theory
Job Location - City, State
Remote Eligible - This position is eligible for a fully remote schedule with all work performed remotely. (Note: Only salaried (i.e., exempt), non-temporary positions are eligible for remote work outside the tri-state area (Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.)
Department / School
$74,476.00 - $162,146.00
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/St-Leonards-Ste100/Senior-IT-Project-Leader--Wharton-Research-Data-Services--WRDS-_JR00066716
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency