San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Campus Location: San Jose City College
The Library Technician reports to the Division Dean of Language Arts at San Jose City College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Thursday; 11:30 a.m.- 8:00 p.m. and Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
This position is represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.
Under the direction of an assigned administrator, perform a wide variety of technical and clerical library center activities related to such areas as technical services, periodical services, circulation services and library instruction using the full range of technologies available.
This is an entry level class in the Library Technician series. Positions in this class will normally perform some of the duties required of the Senior Library Technician but are not expected to function at the same skill level and will normally exercise less discretion and judgement in matters related to work procedures and methods,. The work usually fits a pattern which has been established and explained before the work is started. Generally, changes in work procedures are explained in advance as they arise. Public contact primarily involves students and college personnel.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide general assistance to patrons in circulation services, locating library center materials.
2. Assist patrons in a lab setting with computer applications and use of integrated library systems.
3. Participate in the physical processing of materials in preparation for circulation, shelving and other library center activities.
4. Label, reinforce, bind, jacket, stamp and repair library and media materials; treat materials for security system.
5. Route selected materials to librarians, instructors, and administrators.
6. Check-out print and non-print library and media materials to patrons; check-in materials upon return.
7. Maintain accurate registration and transaction files and review files to identify overdue materials.
8. Follow-up on overdue notices to recover un-returned library and media materials.
9. Respond to student and faculty in-person, telephone, and electronic requests for library and media materials, services, and information.
10. Assist with coordination of circulation activities for library materials.
11. Assist patrons with the use of library and audio-visual materials and computers.
12. Troubleshoot copy machines and computers as necessary.
13. Organize and secure collection of master software, audio cassettes and manuals.
14. Issue instructional materials to students, maintain inventory of supplies and replace materials as necessary.
15. Assist in the maintenance of current statistics on library operations and prepare summary reports.
16. Maintain inventory of standard supplies and reorder as necessary.
17. Assist in developing procedures and forms.
18. Assist in taking inventory of library collection of print and non-print materials.
19. Prepare displays and exhibits, draft layouts, and prepare signs.
20. Assist with training and providing direction to student workers assigned to unit or function.
21. Perform other duties reasonably related to this classification.
1. Standard library procedures of a complex nature including cataloging and circulation procedures.
2. Library of Congress classification system.
3. Preparation and repair of library materials.
4. English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
5. Modern office methods, practices and equipment including personal computers and related software.
6. Audio-visual equipment and its basic operation.
Skills and Ability to:
1. Learn to perform a variety of library/media center work with speed and accuracy.
2. Work independently within general guidelines or parameters.
3. Respond to questions from patrons and the general public in a courteous, tactful manner.
4. Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with others.
5. Operate a computer and other office equipment and related software applications.
6. Learn to operate an integrated library software system.
7. Organize assigned work to effectively meet deadlines and schedules.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Graduation from high school.
2. One year of prior library experience in a clerical or technical capacity.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
Districts Diversity Requirements
$56,163 - $68,541 Annual alary (Range 70: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2023-2024). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 20 paid holidays.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the Districts emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency