Dental Hygienist - Department of Periodontics, Penn Dental Medicine
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Dental Hygienist - Department of Periodontics, Penn Dental Medicine
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
A clinical Dental Hygienist with Penn Dental Medicine's Department of Periodontics is responsible for providing quality patient care and supervising dental care in a team-based environment. This position will ensure quality patient and student experiences by providing a welcoming, knowledgeable environment; exemplary oral hygiene treatment; as well as a clean, sterile, and safe facility. The individual will contribute to quality employee experiences by supporting a collaborative, highly efficient work environment for peers and colleagues.
Our ideal candidate will partner and collaborate with a team of talented, engaged dental students and dentists in providing exceptional patient experiences. Additionally, individuals selected for this role will have experience and champion their position as a leader of the clinical practice - serving as a role model to the dental student as well as partner and bridge for dentists and patient care.
- Experience in sedation procedures and/or ACLS certification is desired, but not required.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by setting up and breaking down operatory, as well as nitrous units when needed
- Supports dentist with nitrous oxide unit set-up and monitoring levels through the duration of patient appointment
- Ensure that operatories are well supplied with necessary supplies
- Handle sharpening, sterilization, and maintenance of all instruments and equipment
- Escort patients to and from operatories
- Help to acquaint patients with a preventive care-oriented practice philosophy
- Help to maintain and manage the patient recall system
- Perform or supervise thorough Periodontal debridement (cleanings) on scheduled patients which include proper use of ultrasonic cleaning devices, scaling instruments, polishing, and flossing
- Conduct or supervise dental and periodontal assessments, provide oral cancer screening, charting conditions of decay and disease (via axiUm), capture digital images (via MiPacs), and documenting interventions performed electronically by recording vital signs, clinical notes, and procedures.
- Educate and motivate patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions presenting and explaining treatment plans to patients, demonstrating effective communication to bridge the gap between a pending treatment plan and a completed treatment plan, provides postoperative instructions and schedules and subsequent visits.
- Explain treatment alternatives to patients
- Review and revise patient histories and record patient's vital signs
- Chart existing restorations on new patients and notate clinical evidence of disease presence
- Record specific treatment performed on patient chart, as well as other patient information as needed.
- Provides digital x-rays and chairside assistance when available, as needed
- Help to reconfirm and appoint patients
- Maintain patient confidence and protect operations by keeping information confidential
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Based on clinic assignment, may provide guidance and support to dental students and residents.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results; monitors inventory; maintains proper usage and operations of equipment.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Flexibility in scheduling is required for all positions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing and supporting as assigned.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & POSITION EXPECTATIONS
- An Associate's Degree or two-year college equivalent and 3 years to 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience are required.
- CPR certification is required.
- Employment clearance through the State of PA to work on/with children: as determined through Pennsylvania Criminal Background Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Finger Printing Database are required.
- Experience with Axium preferred.
- Ability to accommodate different scheduling requirements based on the operational needs of the department.
Associate of Science and 3 to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Dental Medicine
$28.48 - $42.91
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Dental-School-Evans-Building/Dental-Hygienist---Department-of-Periodontics--Penn-Dental-Medicine_JR00063925-1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency