- Academic Counselor, CHOICES Program
- Go to our website »
Academic Counselor, CHOICES Program
About Massasoit Community College:
We at Massasoit Community College pride ourselves in our tradition of excellence and in our historic mission of accepting all who desire to learn. Massasoit currently offers 41 associate degree programs in arts, sciences, and applied sciences and 24 certificates. The College also offers non-credit workforce development certificates; corporate training courses; adult basic education; personal enrichment classes; and Early College programs for high school students.
Students of color make up roughly half of all students enrolled and more than half of all Massasoit students are first generation to attend college. More than 900 students graduate from Massasoit with an associate degree or certificate each year.
Brockton, Massachusetts, home of Massasoit's largest campus, prides itself on its diversity of cultures and is home to approximately 95,000 residents. In addition, the college has a campus in Canton, a satellite location in Middleborough, and annually serves students from more than 35 cities and towns in Southeastern Massachusetts. Massasoit is one of the largest community colleges in the state.
Massasoit Community College is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer who is committed to increasing diversity across all levels of the college. Candidates who believe they can contribute to this value are strongly encouraged to apply.
The CHOICES program is a student support program primarily focusing on the unique needs of students who are also caring for children; about 90% of CHOICES students are parents and/or caregivers. The program's goal is to improve the retention, transfer, and graduation rates of students through holistic, wraparound student support services. Services include case-managed academic and career advising, educational workshops on topics specific to student parents and caregivers, and referrals to on-campus and community resources. Program activities include opportunities for students to develop their academic and leadership skills, explore career interests, and connect with other students managing family responsibilities while pursuing a college degree. The program utilizes a web-based early-alert system to track student progress and record advising and other program interactions. The CHOICES program is part of Massasoit's Student Success Team.
The Academic Counselor holistically supports and guides program participants through their experiences at the college. This position is responsible for researching and implementing best advising practices; collecting and analyzing student success data; program reporting; planning, leading and evaluating individual and group advising, career or transfer events and enrichment activities to ensure every program participant is provided with individualized support and with proactive career, academic, and transfer counseling. The Academic Counselor will collaborate with other advising programs and offices.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Conducts academic and career advising, career assessments, and transfer advising; provides information regarding degree and transfer requirements, and monitors academic progress of CHOICES student
- Screens, interviews, evaluates, and processes incoming CHOICES students
- Works with students to develop academic plans of study and advises students on their academic plan, course selection/sequencing, curriculum/concentration selection and changes, and transition issues
- Assists students in registering, adding, or withdrawing from courses
- Assists students in obtaining developmental and tutorial assistance
- Assigns academic advisors and notifies students/faculty of advisor assignments
- Participates in new student orientations
- Coordinates activities with other programs and refers students to other services as appropriate
- Attends meetings/events, serves on committees, and makes presentations
- Interacts with various agencies/individuals, including community groups, outside agencies, and other individuals to coordinate activities, review status of work, and exchange information
- Conducts academic informational sessions and workshops, including leadership, social, and educational programming
- Collects, organizes, and disseminates statistical data and maintains and updates student files in accordance with college and programmatic reporting requirements
- Maintains professional knowledge in applicable areas, researches new trends, and advances in the profession
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with college faculty and staff
- Focuses on the Commonwealth's Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions
- Performs other duties as assigned
Master's degree in Education, Counseling, Psychology or closely related field; with three (3) years experience and/or training involving college admissions, academic advisement, career development, or program/project management; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC).
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse student populations;
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion;
- Demonstrated experience analyzing, interpreting, and utilizing data;
- Demonstrated experience building collaborative relationships;
- Demonstrated experience with EAB Navigate/GradesFirst platforms;
- Strong communication skills.
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications as stated above are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them with the equivalent combination of education, training and experience required for the responsibilities of this position.
Position Status: Full-time, benefited Massachusetts Community College Council (MCCC) union position of Academic Counselor. For classification specification details please follow this link: https://www.mass.edu/forfacstaff/classificationspecs/home.asp
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. This position may be eligible for telework in accordance with the College's telework policy.
Salary: $58,319 - $67,081 annually, Grade 5. Salary is commensurate with education, experience and based on the MCCC Classification Study.
Worksite: This position is primarily located on Massasoit's Brockton campus, with limited in-person duties at other college locations.
Deadline to Apply: June 25, 2023
A cover letter and resume are required, please apply online. Resumes will NOT be considered without an accompanying cover letter.
Please Note: Faxed, emailed, or mailed in resumes and/or materials will NOT be accepted. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback on application statuses. Please refrain from contacting the hiring manager and/or hiring department via phone, email, fax, mail, third person party or vendor and in person. Failure to comply, may result in application withdrawal.
Massasoit Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation or sexual violence shall be referred to the Title IX and Compliance Officer, Amee Synnott, 508-588-9100, x1304, Brockton Campus, Administration Building, Room 219, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Dean of Students & Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Jessica Correia, 508-588-9100, x1402, Brockton Campus, Student Center, Room 208A, email@example.com, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
To apply, visit https://massasoit.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=162800
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency