University Library Metadata Services Department Head and Acquisitions Librarian (Open until filled. Apply by 1/14/19)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University Library, [https://library.ucsc.edu/], at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) invites public service focused leaders to apply for the Metadata Services Department Head and Acquisitions Librarian position. Under the direction of the Associate University Librarian for Collections & Services, the Metadata Services Department Head and Acquisitions Librarian provides vision, leadership and management for the library's acquisitions and cataloging staff; supports, recommends and implements new initiatives for managing and processing print and electronic resources; collaborates with library staff in other departments and with University of California system-wide acquisitions colleagues, maintaining open communication channels; and participates on library-wide and/or systemwide teams. As acquisitions lead, the Metadata Services Department Head and Acquisitions Librarian manages the workflows associated with the library's acquisitions (e.g., DDA, Evidence-Based Acquisitions, systemwide resources) and related programs. The incumbent works closely with the AUL for Collections & Services, Head of Research Support Services, Library Planning & Budget staff, and the Library Collections Analyst to develop, communicate and coordinate cross-unit workflow requirements and initiatives and lead the department in reimagining its role in supporting discovery. The Metadata Services Department Head and Acquisitions Librarian will also have the following responsibilities:
- Supervise, mentor and evaluate the Metadata Services department staff
- Oversee and provide support for copy cataloging and some original cataloging of monograph materials in English & other languages in a variety of formats (text, scores, video recordings, sound recordings) using RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings, Library of Congress Classification, and MARC21 standards for bibliographic and authority data, using OCLC Connexion client and an integrated library system
- Maintain a working knowledge of cataloging standards and technologies and the implications for the end user
- Utilize and direct others in the appropriate cataloging tools to assign call numbers and subject headings and provide descriptive cataloging
- Provide bibliographic problem solving assistance and clarification to staff members and library users
- Serve as a liaison between and among Metadata Services, Public Services, and User Services and Resource Sharing to evaluate the effectiveness and utility of bibliographic information provided by Metadata Services
- Serve as ERMS and acquisitions expert for ILS implementation support
- Coordinate provision of statistics related to collections for IPEDS and University of California, Office of President (UCOP) reporting
- Serve on appropriate professional groups/committees
- Serve as a member of the Library Leadership Management Group (LMG)
The preferred candidate will have the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with vendors of the library's print and electronic resources. Additionally, the ability to prioritize, plan, coordinate, and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner; work independently as well as collaboratively; and work flexibly, creatively, and effectively, with interruptions, in a fast changing environment are highly desired. Applicants with experience working with the public, working in a library collections setting, experience leading teams and/or with project management and with experience in rights management issues are strongly encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Librarians Association of the University of California (LAUC). Research, publication, and/or service to the University and profession are expected for continuing advancement. More information can be found here: https://lauc.ucop.edu/
Associate Librarian or Librarian
$56,364 - $123,327, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
As a Department Head Librarian, this position receives an administrative stipend of $500 per month (amount subject to change) in addition to base salary.
An ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree (or equivalent foreign) with five years' experience in a library or similar setting at the time of application; experience with library acquisitions functions and workflows, including management of electronic resources; library experience in cataloging; experience with national descriptive cataloging standards, Library of Congress Classification, Library of Congress Subject Headings, MARC coding, and name/subject authorities; experience working with bibliographic utilities and integrated library systems (UCSC is currently using Alma/Primo).
As soon as possible after initial review of the applications or by January 1, 2019.
DURATION OF POSITION
This appointment will be full-time. Non-temporary appointments to the Librarian Series at UCSC are offered as potential career or career status, as appropriate (see the Academic Personnel Manual, Appointment and Promotion in the Librarian Series, https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/apm/apm-360.pdf). In accordance with policy, the selected candidate will undergo the Librarian Peer Review process where his/her performance will be reviewed and assessed. The Librarian Peer Review outcomes will determine the candidate's suitability to receive career status and move through the ranks.
Applications are accepted via the UCSC Academic Recruit online system. All documents and materials must be submitted as PDFs.
APPLY AT https://recruit.ucsc.edu/apply/JPF00665
Please refer to Position # JPF00665-19T in all correspondence.
- Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position (required)
- Curriculum vitae (required)
- List of professional references, which must include the names and contact information (phone and email) for three to five references (required)
- Diversity statement that addresses past or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service (required) See guidelines for diversity statements at https://senate.ucsc.edu/committees/caad-committee-on-affirmative-action-and-diversity/DivStateGuidelines.pdf
The hiring unit will conduct phone reference checks for those applicants who are under serious consideration.
REVISED RECRUITMENT PERIOD
Full consideration will be given to applications completed by January 14, 2019. Applications received after this date will be considered only if the position has not been filled.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees. Inquiries regarding the University's equal employment opportunity policies may be directed to the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064 or by phone at (831) 459-2686.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check (see https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify). More information is available at the APO website (see https://apo.ucsc.edu/policy/capm/104.000%20.html) or call (831) 459-4300.
UCSC is a smoke & tobacco-free campus.
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the Academic Personnel Office at firstname.lastname@example.org (831) 459-4300.
VISIT THE APO WEB SITE AT http://apo.ucsc.edu
- Cover Letter - Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- List of professional references - List must include the names and contact information (phone and email) for three to five references
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, publication, and/or service. See guidelines for diversity statements at https://senate.ucsc.edu/committees/caad-committee-on-affirmative-action-and-diversity/DivStateGuidelines.pdf
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency